The world expects a lot from a business; quality product, outstanding customer service, low prices, and a high level of social responsibility. The latter has become ever more prominent with the rise of environmental sustainability. While the "green" movement may not be a nascent one, the mainstream media has recently embraced it. This is leading to greater general consumer awareness about where and what people are choosing to shop for. We couldn't be happier. While many businesses 'mask market' themselves as "eco-friendly" few make it a genuine practice. Liquid Planet isn't "going green", we were founded on it. And here's some of the ways we go about practicing it.
- Liquid Planet branded products are all-natural and/or organic. We go to great lengths to make sure that all of our products fit our mission of: providing products good for the body, spaces that feed the soul, and profits that give back to the earth. Read more about why organic.
- We source ingredients from farmers who practice sustainable farming methods, the majority of the time, these are certified organic farms. Because organic certification is quite difficult or impossible in some circumstances, we find all-natural ingredients and ensure that the product was not grown or harvested with chemicals, pesticides or other harmful toxins. We also ensure that farmers are compensated fairly for their sustainable practice and outstanding crops by purchasing Farmer's First coffee beans.
- We package our products in the most environmentally friendly option that technology will allow. Our new retail tea boxes are a great example: The tea itself is 100% organic, the sachet is non-bleached and 100% biodegradable, the overwrap is a PLA (or corn-based) material that is also 100% biodegradable, the box is constructed of post-consumer recycled, and fully recyclable paper board and manufactured in a facility that offsets its entire energy use with wind energy credits.
- In house, Liquid Planet serves its hot beverages in 100% compostable and biodegradable to-go cups. Unbeknownst to most people, the hot paper to-go cups in nearly all restaurant and coffee shops are not only made from virgin (or non-recycled) paper board but because of the petroleum based lining added to it to prevent leaking it's also 100% non-recyclable. In essence the lining embalms the cup, preserving it for centuries... and we're using it once, for less than an hour.
- Liquid Planet's "Bring it" program encourages the use of reusable mugs by offering discounts to customers who bring in their own mug.
- Liquid Planet stores are in the transition of making all to-go containers biodegradable. Much like cups, most to-go containers are made from petroleum based plastic or have a petroleum based lining. We're in the process of moving towards biodegradable and/or sugar-cane and corn based containers to ease the burden on mother nature without sacrificing a little convenience. We're also working diligently to develop relationships with commercial composters, allowing us to provide compost bins for all those products.
- Liquid Planet stores and company offices recycle. From aluminum cans to milk jugs, from office paper to coffee grounds, from ink cartridges to newspapers, if it can be recycled we do it. If it can't be recycled we try to find an alternative that can.
- We work with like-minded businesses who also have a genuine desire to operate in an ethically sustainable manner. From our product ingredient suppliers to the company we purchase paper from down to the company that hosts this web page, all share our eco-conscience.
- Liquid Planet is a member of the local sustainable business council which helps promote sustainability in common business practice as well as throughout the community.
- We participate in a number of events that promote alternative transportation, like offering discounts for Bike Walk Alliance members, offering free bus passes to employees, and offering drink specials with proceeds benefiting alternative transportation non-profits.
- We are in the process of developing the Blue Green Program which will not only reward customers for purchasing environmentally sustainable products but will also give percentages of profits to non-profits and organizations dedicated to cleaning the world's waters and erasing the footprint we humans have already left.
Shop with a Conscience Drink with Intention